Skip to main content

Peanut candy/toffee...Kappalandi mittai....Homemade!!!


I love peanut candy....and I know you also love this....it is a comfort snack for me....love to munch it while relaxing in front of TV or reading a book....this is every malayali's favorite snack.....from time immemorial. Most of the shops be it a supermarket or the small petti kada aka local grocery shop has kappalandi mittai aka peanut candy......during one of the winter spells in Mercara, Coorg a casual chat with my friend Sheena resulted in her mentioning that she makes them at home.....Wow!!! being a novice at cooking at that time....I was surprised at the ease with which she used to make this.....and when I also tried it came out so crispy and crunchy that it was better than the store brought ones....soon it became the most wanted snack at my house.....if there is roasted and skinless peanuts ready....peanut candy can be ready in about 10 min...and that is superfast right???. After coming to Calicut, I had difficulty in getting roasted and skinless ones....so I buy 1/2 kg peanuts....toast them in oven....and deskin them.

How I made them:

Ingredients:
Roasted and skinned peanuts: 1 1/2 cups.
Sugar: 1 cup.
Ghee (clarified butter): 2 tsp.
Soda powder: 1 fat pinch.

Method:
1. Heat oven to its maximum. Spread the raw peanuts in a tray and put it in the oven for about 10 min....rattling them around a bit halfway through so they toast evenly.


2. The peanuts are nicely roasted in about 10 min and let it cool....sorry about the blurred pic....I tried to balance the cam and the tray without the mitten...just with kitchen towel...lol.

3. When the peanuts are completely cooled.....remove their skin. Measure 1 1/2 cups and put them on a paper and run rolling pin over the them....it should be coarsely grounded. (If you have skinless and roasted peanuts available you just have to crumble it coarsely and start from here.)


4. Peanuts are ready!!! 

5. Heat a deep bottomed pan put in ghee and sugar together.

6. Stir continuously till you get a golden brown syrup.....on low flame pls. Put in a fat pinch of soda powder and when it starts to bubble put in the peanuts.
7. Switch off the fire after putting in the peanuts.

 8. Mix them well fast and quick.

9. Spread evenly on a greased tray as thinly as possible.

10. Cut into desired shapes before it cools down.

11. Peanut candy/kappalandi mittai is ready to munch...

Store in airtight containers

Enjoy!!!

Comments

  1. kuttikkalathe nte fav mittai ayirunnu adipoli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nisa! Home made candy looks so so yummy. It is my all time fav..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turned out really good. I love anything with peanuts. I gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect looking. edit as put the ghee and sugar. Its typed ghee and butter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so perfect and crunchy.. So we do not add any sweetness at all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candy made out of peanuts look to be yummy. Great way to attract the kids who would relish such preparations.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Shanti, thanks dear for pointing it out....I edited....

    ReplyDelete
  8. mY favourite, i cant stop munching them if i make it at home, yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ..they have come out sooooo professional n delicious looking..nice job here :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow what a lovely candy dear.....book marked....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've loved peanut candy ever since I was a kid. Yours looks superb. Great job with making this. I have a huge sweets linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this wonderful candy up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this type of candy and they turned out better looking than the store ones. well done Nisa
    hope you'll have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your peanut candy looks so delicious! Thank you for participating in this months YBR!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. looks yum. why cant u make some stuff and give me ?????????????

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey! great to see this recipe. I always thought they were made from jaggery. I will try this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. always been my fav!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favourite. I have to make some maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know indian cucise at all but your blog is very intresting. I will try to make some dishes. Sure one of the first will be this sweet one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. New Year Greetings Nisha,

    I am here for the first time. I am impressed by the brief and accurate instructions.
    I wish to make 'Kappalandi Mitthai' with jaggery. So do I just substitute jaggery?

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Lakshmi: Hi. I thought I could help with your question. You can substitute jaggery for sugar. The ratio is half a cup jaggery for 1 cup roasted and peeled peanuts. Heat jaggery in a heavy pan with a little water and boil till you get hard ball consistency. You can check this by dropping a little syrup in a cup of water and try rolling it into a ball and drop it against a steel plate. If it makes a clanging sound, and is hard to be quashed when you press it, it is ready. Another indicator is, the syrup color will darken. A word of caution. Keep flame in medium if making small quantity. You don't want to burn your syrup. It will be done within 5 to 7 mins if you use very little water to melt jaggery in the pan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for visiting my space. Your comments, suggestions, criticism and all opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you for stopping by and have a nice day.

Popular posts from this blog

Turmeric Tea Mix Recipe For Weight Loss - Homemade/DIY (Golden) Turmeric Tea Mix

turmeric tea mix - diy turmeric mix to make turmeric tea or golden milk. turmeric tea for weight loss, for a flat belly, stomach bloating, and for overall health. this homemade mix is an excellent fat burner and also will boost immunity. have this on empty stomach in the morning for best results. the active ingredient in turmeric known as curcumin has powerful anti inflammatory effects and is a strong anti oxidant. curcumin is not easily absorbed by the body and that is the reason inspite of us Indians having lots of turmeric in our diet, do not get its full benefits. black pepper is the one natural ingredient that helps the curcumin to be absorbed into the body by around 2000%, wow! So, do not skip black pepper when taking turmeric. All the ingredients I used in this homemade turmeric tea mix are locally acquired and organic. curcumin/turmeric is fat soluble so it is also a good option to have a warm cup after a heavy meal. studies shows that turmeric can prevent cancer, h

Caramel Pudding Recipe - Caramel Custard Recipe

Caramel pudding recipe;  a delicious traditional dessert with creamy caramel over silky custard. Caramel custard is my favorite pudding. All through my childhood, amma makes caramel pudding as a Sunday special.....achachen (my dad) love only this pudding...... 42 years of serving caramel pudding to him has made amma, a sort of an authority on caramel pudding recipe! Ah yes, like always this is amma's recipe. It is her signature, no-fail recipe. of caramel custard. Okay lets talk about this pudding!!  I used 4 eggs because amma said so  eggs are the show stopper here :)......it is needed to make the pudding silky-satin, and stand tall....and yes it will not crumble.....now you may wonder....won't this be eggy!!smelly!! I promise it won't....there wouldn't be too much eggy flavor! caramel flavor can do wonders!! Believe me!! I am using my steamer or appachembu as it is known locally to cook the pudding. While the pudding is steaming, it is import

Pidiyum Kozhiyum Recipe - How To Make Kerala Style Kozhi Pidi - Kerala Recipes

Pidiyum kozhiyum or kottayam style pidi is a traditional knanaya cuisine ; these rice dumpling have a thick gravy like sauce, unlike the dry versions of Malabar kakka roti or kozhi pidi. Knanaya style pidi is served with varutharacha kozhi curry. Traditionally, pidi is associated with baby shower ie when the daughter-in-law is sent to her parents house for delivery, it is customary for the mother-in-law to make kozhi pidi and we knanaya people still follow these traditions. My main aim is to preserve this recipe; so that the future generations can enjoy this wholesome dish. Pidi is rice dumplings which is simmered in water along with shallots, garlic, curry leaves, and coriander seeds; but I have used coriander powder instead to make the whole process easy. Amma mentioned that if using coriander seeds then; the water used to mix the rice flour should be sieved and that using fresh roasted coriander powder saves time. I have made a video recipe and I hope this you help