Skip to main content

Spinach/Palak Samosas......Whole Wheat Flour...step-by-step.


I have a dilemma. Most of the snacks which I share here are often made as an after school snack for my kids. The reason?. Ugly clicks. Kids will be so hungry that they would pounce on them....and will disappear by the time I get my cam....When I made Nithyas breadcups.....I couldn't click them....and Nidhi declared better luck next time Amma!!!. She is so cool to say....why worry Amma ....make again and click them....

Samosa is stuffed pastry and a popular Indian snack...it is generally triangular in shape and deep fried, usually with a potato based vegetarian filling.

The pastry is made with all purpose flour or maida mixed with warm oil/ghee/vegetable shortening and made into a soft pliable dough with enough water.

I usually avoid all purpose flour and use whole wheat flour as much as I can....so the pastry here is made with whole wheat flour....I had a bunch of spinach/palak leaves and used them as a filling for the samosa.....I also did not use soda powder....remember I try to make as healthy as possible for kids after school snack.

You can make it entirely with all purpose flour and soda powder (the reason why all street food samosas are crunchy) or half flour and wheat flour.....


Ingredients:
For the pastry dough:
Whole wheat flour: 2 cups.
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
Ghee/veg shortening/Oil: 2 or 3 tbsp, warmed.
Ajawain seeds: A fat pinch (optional).
Water as needed.

For the filling:
Boiled potatoes: 3 or 4.
Spinach leaves: 1 small bunch, chopped.
Onion: 1, chopped.
Ginger: A small piece, finely grated.
Green chilly: 1 or 2 chopped.
Lemon juice: Half lemon.
Salt.
Oil: 1 tbsp.
Oil for deep frying the samosas.

Method
1. Mash the potatoes, in a pan heat oil and fry the chopped onions, green chillies, and ginger lightly. Put in the chopped spinach leaves and fry till the water evaporates. Add salt and the mashed potatoes, mix well. Switch off fire and squeeze half a lemon and mix well. The filling is ready.

2. Rub warm oil into the whole wheat flour with your fingertips, add salt, ajwain seeds; make it into a soft dough using enough water. Knead it nicely on your kitchen counter.

3. Pinch off from the dough and make equal sized balls. Roll them with a rolling pin into small round shape(dust little flour if it is sticky). Slice it into half and put a tbsp of filling on one end.


4. Simply fold it over and press the sides with your fingertips.

5. You can even do some decorations with the tines of fork. Thats it!!....heat oil and deep fry them. You can even brush oil on both sides and bake them.

Kids enjoyed with tomato sauce as usual

YUM!

Enjoy!!!Will be back soon.
Linking with Made from scratch Tuesday, Wandering Wednesdayz, Its a blog party, Full plate thursday, Paisley Passions,  Its a keeper Thursday

Comments

  1. Look very tasty. Don't you think the best snacks are fried.
    Anyway I am reminded of the bhaiya who used to make samosa near our collage. He use to make a cone out of the dough and the stuff and seal them.
    used to be the best tasting samosas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks vibrant and awesome samosa.. love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samosas look soo crunchy n yummy. I like ur recipes coz u try to add a healthy twist to sinful treats:-)
    I am missing those school/college days when amma’s hot snacks+tea wud b waiting for me.
    Anyways countdown has started 4 me, parents r cumg over ..yeyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks super crispy and perfectly done... Yummy samosas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... Spinach filling looks absolutely tasty and healthy... Good one with whole wheat flour...

    http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
    Herbs & Flowers in my Platter - Coriander/Cilantro

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the most famous snack item in our school canteen. Nice healthy filling inside

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow with wheat flour ... loooks so delicious and healthy one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the filling!!! Healthy too with wheat flour & spinach...
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crispy samosas looks soo marvellous,love that healthy filling..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya! Newest follower (#101 -- congrats on surpassing 100!) from the Wandering Wednesday Blog Hop-- please stop by and say hello! Would love if ya followed back!
    ♥cyn♥
    http://cyn-thenutshell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nisa, I adore samosas! My husband eats them all the time from a takeaway shop near his work. I've made them before and I'm sure they're nowhere near as authentic as yours. They look wonderful, my husband would love it if I made these for him. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. First time to your blog.....the samosas look so tempting wanna have some right now!!!!


    Ankita
    http://eat-hearty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious samosas..flavorful filling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I'd eat up all your snacks if you made these for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Spinach Palak Samosas look awesome. You always make everything look so beautiful and so simple. I wish I could have these right now. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these sound like something my teens would love

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Tandoori Chef which is An authentic North Indian, fine dining restaurant, Tandoori Chef offers Hackensack and the surrounding area a wonderful taste of Indian cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you please tell me if I oven bake the Samosas what oven temperature do I cook them on & for how long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, pls refer to my baked samosa post http://www.nisahomey.com/2012/09/baked-vegetable-samoa-whole-wheatstep.html...hope this will help you and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for visiting my space. Your comments, suggestions, criticism and all opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you for stopping by and have a nice day.

Popular posts from this blog

Turmeric Tea Mix Recipe For Weight Loss - Homemade/DIY (Golden) Turmeric Tea Mix

turmeric tea mix - diy turmeric mix to make turmeric tea or golden milk. turmeric tea for weight loss, for a flat belly, stomach bloating, and for overall health. this homemade mix is an excellent fat burner and also will boost immunity. have this on empty stomach in the morning for best results. the active ingredient in turmeric known as curcumin has powerful anti inflammatory effects and is a strong anti oxidant. curcumin is not easily absorbed by the body and that is the reason inspite of us Indians having lots of turmeric in our diet, do not get its full benefits. black pepper is the one natural ingredient that helps the curcumin to be absorbed into the body by around 2000%, wow! So, do not skip black pepper when taking turmeric. All the ingredients I used in this homemade turmeric tea mix are locally acquired and organic. curcumin/turmeric is fat soluble so it is also a good option to have a warm cup after a heavy meal. studies shows that turmeric can prevent cancer, h

Caramel Pudding Recipe - Caramel Custard Recipe

Caramel pudding recipe;  a delicious traditional dessert with creamy caramel over silky custard. Caramel custard is my favorite pudding. All through my childhood, amma makes caramel pudding as a Sunday special.....achachen (my dad) love only this pudding...... 42 years of serving caramel pudding to him has made amma, a sort of an authority on caramel pudding recipe! Ah yes, like always this is amma's recipe. It is her signature, no-fail recipe. of caramel custard. Okay lets talk about this pudding!!  I used 4 eggs because amma said so  eggs are the show stopper here :)......it is needed to make the pudding silky-satin, and stand tall....and yes it will not crumble.....now you may wonder....won't this be eggy!!smelly!! I promise it won't....there wouldn't be too much eggy flavor! caramel flavor can do wonders!! Believe me!! I am using my steamer or appachembu as it is known locally to cook the pudding. While the pudding is steaming, it is import

Pidiyum Kozhiyum Recipe - How To Make Kerala Style Kozhi Pidi - Kerala Recipes

Pidiyum kozhiyum or kottayam style pidi is a traditional knanaya cuisine ; these rice dumpling have a thick gravy like sauce, unlike the dry versions of Malabar kakka roti or kozhi pidi. Knanaya style pidi is served with varutharacha kozhi curry. Traditionally, pidi is associated with baby shower ie when the daughter-in-law is sent to her parents house for delivery, it is customary for the mother-in-law to make kozhi pidi and we knanaya people still follow these traditions. My main aim is to preserve this recipe; so that the future generations can enjoy this wholesome dish. Pidi is rice dumplings which is simmered in water along with shallots, garlic, curry leaves, and coriander seeds; but I have used coriander powder instead to make the whole process easy. Amma mentioned that if using coriander seeds then; the water used to mix the rice flour should be sieved and that using fresh roasted coriander powder saves time. I have made a video recipe and I hope this you help