Skip to main content

Whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.....step-by-step.


The other day I was out shopping and I saw a street vendor selling used books, I crossed the road and just browsed his collection and to my disbelief I found cookbooks!!!. That day I was the proud owner of some real classic cookbooks.....

The Cookie Book from Wisconsin Energy Company was a surprise treat for me....it is a compilation of recipes from Wisconsin Energy Company employees...I like this kind of collection as they are usually tried and tested ....It was a 1998 edition book with just cookie recipes....cookies of all kinds...classic cookies, traditional cookies, shaped cookies and so on....ah you all guessed it right, you gals can expect more cookies from my side :). The book starts with some traditional cookies and the very first one was Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies and that too you won't believe.....with wheat flour.....not a bit of all purpose flour....just plain whole wheat flour!!! Oh boy I was very glad I mean here I was baking with just all purpose flour and its high time I baked healthy!!! They tasted every bit like a real chocolate chip cookie should be: tender and chewy in the middle, crisp at the edges. I mixed with hand mixer and lastly mixed the dough with my hand and they rolled out into a thick dough and needed no chilling..so lets get baking!!!

Ingredients:
(I halved them)
3/4 cup Granulated sugar.
3/4 cup packed brown sugar.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened ( I used butter).
1 egg.
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour.
1 tsp baking soda.
1/2 tsp salt.
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I used cashew-nuts).
1 12-ounce package of semisweet chocolate chips.

Method:
1. In a large bowel mix sugars, butter, and egg.

2. Stir in whole wheat flour/atta, baking soda, and salt.

3. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.

4. Mix with your hand ...the dough will be stiff :).

5. Shape into rounds and pressed them with my palms and placed into an ungreased cookie sheet (it was instructed to drop the dough by a rounded spoon but I shaped into small rounds).
 Off to bake!!!


Out of the oven!!


                                                                    mmmmmm


Comments

  1. Delicious looking cookies.. wholesome too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies turned out exacly as in cookbook cover!!! looks so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious healthy cookies. Like the addition of nuts and choco chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they looks so perfect and crispy.. love ur blog.. following u!

    http://rasoithekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nisa,what a delight,cookies with whole wheat flour,I love your recipe book and sometimes the best tressures are found in places where you least expect them.The cookies look so crunchy on the edges and must be chewy on the inside as you mention.Super!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look like a great treat! Love the whole wheat flour to make them healthy! Well... as healthy as a chocolate chip cookie can be! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am surely going to try this out, sounds delicious and your pics are superb!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow... i am jealous of u girl.... so many cookbooks :)
    These cookies are just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm, feel like munching some..soo tempting clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to use whole wheat flour so this is definitely end up baked at my place. Plz post some more recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nisa, thank you so much for visiting my blog today and becoming my newest follower. I'm following you back! I've never made cookies before with just whole-wheat flour. They look delicious! Can't wait to see more cookies from your newest cookbook! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lot of choc recipes here..Appreciate the step by step photo explanation..motivates me to try it out and i will.

    ammaandbaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. your cookies turned out way better than the cookbook ones. they are perfect. love the usage of wholewheat flour.
    Thanks for sharing Nisa

    have a wonderful weekend,
    Roxana

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how your cookies are studded with all those delicious mix-ins. I would never have guessed that they're made with whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am following you from Decidedly Healthy or Horridly Decadent Saturday Party. Your Cookies look so good and so healthy, I really want to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks fro sharing with the Decidedly Healthy or Horridly Decadent Blog Hop
    http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com/decidedly-healthy-or-horridly-decadent-blog-hop

    = these look absolutely yummy & you've snuck in some whole grain - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog. Your blog is pretty amazing as well. I love that you have some traditional Indian recipes on here. I'm very excited to go through all of your delicious looking recipes. So wonderful to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for visiting my space. Your comments, suggestions, criticism and all opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you for stopping by and have a nice day.

Popular posts from this blog

Turmeric Tea Mix Recipe For Weight Loss - Homemade/DIY (Golden) Turmeric Tea Mix

turmeric tea mix - diy turmeric mix to make turmeric tea or golden milk. turmeric tea for weight loss, for a flat belly, stomach bloating, and for overall health. this homemade mix is an excellent fat burner and also will boost immunity. have this on empty stomach in the morning for best results. the active ingredient in turmeric known as curcumin has powerful anti inflammatory effects and is a strong anti oxidant. curcumin is not easily absorbed by the body and that is the reason inspite of us Indians having lots of turmeric in our diet, do not get its full benefits. black pepper is the one natural ingredient that helps the curcumin to be absorbed into the body by around 2000%, wow! So, do not skip black pepper when taking turmeric. All the ingredients I used in this homemade turmeric tea mix are locally acquired and organic. curcumin/turmeric is fat soluble so it is also a good option to have a warm cup after a heavy meal. studies shows that turmeric can prevent cancer, h

Caramel Pudding Recipe - Caramel Custard Recipe

Caramel pudding recipe;  a delicious traditional dessert with creamy caramel over silky custard. Caramel custard is my favorite pudding. All through my childhood, amma makes caramel pudding as a Sunday special.....achachen (my dad) love only this pudding...... 42 years of serving caramel pudding to him has made amma, a sort of an authority on caramel pudding recipe! Ah yes, like always this is amma's recipe. It is her signature, no-fail recipe. of caramel custard. Okay lets talk about this pudding!!  I used 4 eggs because amma said so  eggs are the show stopper here :)......it is needed to make the pudding silky-satin, and stand tall....and yes it will not crumble.....now you may wonder....won't this be eggy!!smelly!! I promise it won't....there wouldn't be too much eggy flavor! caramel flavor can do wonders!! Believe me!! I am using my steamer or appachembu as it is known locally to cook the pudding. While the pudding is steaming, it is import

Pidiyum Kozhiyum Recipe - How To Make Kerala Style Kozhi Pidi - Kerala Recipes

Pidiyum kozhiyum or kottayam style pidi is a traditional knanaya cuisine ; these rice dumpling have a thick gravy like sauce, unlike the dry versions of Malabar kakka roti or kozhi pidi. Knanaya style pidi is served with varutharacha kozhi curry. Traditionally, pidi is associated with baby shower ie when the daughter-in-law is sent to her parents house for delivery, it is customary for the mother-in-law to make kozhi pidi and we knanaya people still follow these traditions. My main aim is to preserve this recipe; so that the future generations can enjoy this wholesome dish. Pidi is rice dumplings which is simmered in water along with shallots, garlic, curry leaves, and coriander seeds; but I have used coriander powder instead to make the whole process easy. Amma mentioned that if using coriander seeds then; the water used to mix the rice flour should be sieved and that using fresh roasted coriander powder saves time. I have made a video recipe and I hope this you help